Income Tax Information & Help

Federal and State Tax Forms

The Federal government and the State of Illinois are strongly encouraging all taxpayers to file electronically.

The following tax forms will be available at the library in very limited quantities.

FEDERAL: 1040 and 1040-SR form booklet (with Schedules 1 through 3 and LEP) and instruction booklet. Forms 1040A and 1040EZ are no longer in use.

STATE: IL-1040 Form and instruction booklet and Schedules ICR, EIC, and WIT.

Federal Forms and Publications

Federal Tax Forms - Order IRS forms by mail.

IRS Assistance for Individuals:

  • Online Tools and Resources - the topics people ask about most.
  • Telephone and Local Assistance

Taxpayer Advocate Service - If you are having tax problems and have not been able to resolve them with the IRS, you may be eligible for free TAS help.

IRS Get Ready Page - Steps to take now for tax filing season

Find your Local IRS Office - Before visiting your local office click on "Services Provided" to see what services are available.

Illinois Forms and Publications

Illinois Tax Forms

IL Dept. of Revenue Taxpayer Assistance:
1 800 732-8866 or 217 782-3336

Where to file Illinois forms

Get Help Filing Your 2021 Taxes

File Your Federal Taxes Online for Free - IRS

The IRS provides options for filing your taxes online. Depending on your income and situation, you may be able to file for free! More info

Find Free Tax Preparation Help Nearby

The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. More info

Volunteer Tax Assistance in the Community

Tax Assistance at the Library
Date: Saturday, February 26, March 5, 19, & 26
Location: Nichols Library
As an IRS-approved VITA site, the Notre Dame Club of DuPage County and the Accounting Dept. at Benedictine University are offering free help on federal & state income tax returns for low-income households at the Nichols Library on select Saturdays in February and March. Intended for taxpayers and households with an annual income of $60,000 or less.
Appointments required - walk-ins will not be accepted. Tax returns will not be completed while you wait. You will need to come back at a later time to pick up your return and documents.
For more information or to make an appointment call 331-472-7728 or sign-up online.

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Documentation of Social Security or Unemployment Income (1099-G)
  • Information on any other sources of income
  • Information on any tax credit or deductions, especially Advance Child Tax Credit
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit (ex, a blank check)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Health Coverage Statements
Tax Assistance at the Alfred Rubin Riverwalk Community Center
Date: Mondays, February 7 – March 21, 2022
Wednesdays, February 2 - March 16, 2022
Location: Alfred Rubin Riverwalk Community Center in Classroom 206
Appointments required, register for an account with the Naperville Park District here.
Then, register for an appointment here.
Volunteers trained through the AARP tax-aide program provide free tax filing assistance to seniors. Please bring the following to your 45-minute tax appointment: last year's federal and state tax returns and records, a photo I.D. for each senior who will be listed on the tax return, proof of social security number (i.e. Social Security card, Social Security 1099 form or Medicare card), checking account routing number for direct deposit information, income documents including W-2 forms, 1099 forms, etc. and information about tax-deductible items including dependents, interest, real estate tax bill, state tax refund (if applicable), charitable donation receipts, etc.

Tax Assistance at the College of DuPage
Date: Saturdays, Feb. 12 to April 16
Location: Seaton Computing Center (SCC), Glen Ellyn campus
Get your state and federal tax returns electronically prepared free of charge by IRS-certified Accounting students under the supervision of faculty. Make an appointment at For more information, contact or (630) 942-3450.

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free, individualized tax preparation for low-to moderate-income taxpayers - especially those 50 and older.

Loaves & Fishes
Date: Starting Monday, February 7: Mondays & Wednesdays: 4 p.m. - 8 p.m., Saturdays: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m., Sundays: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Location: Loaves & Fishes Community Services
Need help with your tax return? Loaves & Fishes is an IRS-approved VITA site, offering FREE help on state & federal tax returns for low-income households.(Annual income of $60,000 or less) Volunteers are trained to help income-eligible individuals prepare and file their tax returns at no cost to them.
Call 630-355-3663 for more information or to make an appointment starting on January 24.
  • A copy of previous year tax return (if available)
  • Photo ID and Social Security cards
  • W-2, 1098 or 1099 forms
  • Information on any other income sources
  • Information on your tax credits and deductions
  • Blank check for refund direct deposit
  • Form 1095-A for ACA insurance
  • Letter 6475, Your Third Economic Impact Payment
  • Letter 6419, 2021 advance CTC (Child Tax Credit)
  • Unemployment Benefits 1099-G